Thursday, August 24, 2006

 

Bats!!


Austin is happy to be home to the World's largest urban bat colony. About 1.5 million Mexican free-tails live under the Congress Avenue Bridge and emerge every night in the summer to hundreds of spectators. These bats eat about 15,000 pounds of insects each night (unfortunately, they are not just eating those pesky mosquitoes)! We visited the bats a few nights ago with Cy and Tracy. The show is more impressive earlier in the summer, but it is still exciting to watch the emergence. I promise I will take you if you're ever brave (i.e. crazy) enough to visit Texas in the summer! On the left is a picture from Bat Conservation International of the bat emergence and to the right are the Moren's on the bridge . . . if you look closely you may be able to see some bats in the background (OK, you won't but I promise you they're there!).

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]